Thursday, March 13, 2008


This morning Elizah pulled at my leg "the pieces, the pieces" wanting to read The Missing Piece. This is by far one of our most ritualistic activities. In fact I think Elizah would have me do nothing else but read to her all day long if I agreed to it. I have begun to think about what sort of schooling we will provide for Elizah. I am in great conflict over this and have no idea what we will choose. I know that here I don't want to put her in public school because of the poor education she will receive and the private schools seem for the elite and I would love to home school, but I don't want to unschool. I want to give her my time and attention. Can I really do that with other babies in the house? There are so many people with strong convictions in this area and I really have none. I was sent this link and thought it was an interesting perspective. In fact this got me thinking about what we will do because the time will pass so quickly and before we know it she will be ready for her first day of kindergarten.

2 comments:

Bekah said...

I'm so glad she likes that book so much! Noah loved it too. There are no colors, and the drawings are so simple--it's amazing how attractive that book is to kids, and what a great message it has.

Didn't some court in CA just rule that parents can not home school their children anymore without a teaching degree? I think it is being appealed to the Supreme Court. This is so scary to me. I will see if I can find you the article. I heard all about it on the radio the other day. You would do a great job home schooling Jill.

Jill Abetti said...

I know there was a proposed legislative something, but I don't think anything has passed yet. I'm sure it won't pass. There are so many families who do a wonderful job at homeschooling their children here. However, I just don't feel adequate. How does one accomplish it all in the home and educate their children at the same time?