Sunday, March 9, 2008

Our Daily Bread


Having young children is a great time to start good habits that will hopefully carry on to them. Most of the time though my intentions are good but I fail to carry through with them. Like, I have been trying to wake up at 5:00 every morning to have some quiet time before the house wakes up, but I have yet to crawl out of bed at that wee hour. However, one way I have been intentional is how I nourish my family. Not only spiritually but physically. I want to know what is in the food I'm eating and where it came from. Bread is so expensive to buy and so cheap to make! So, for about a year now I have been making all the bread we eat (except for the occasional croissant I can't resist) but up until about three weeks ago it was all by the bread machine which yielded a good but dry bread. Many times homemade 100% whole wheat bread has a strange strong yeast flavor that is so dense you have to drink a gallon on milk to get it down. I came upon the best 100% whole wheat bread recipe I have ever had here. It is delicious. I have the mixer kneed it for me and it's a cinch. It's a great way to get the kids involved in the kitchen too if you don't mind less than exact measurements and flour on, in, and over everything. Oh what joy this season of life brings.

3 comments:

Bekah said...

Jill,

Good for you! Homemade bread is awesome. We had a bread maker but gave it away several years ago because it just can't make it the same!

Have you tried the honey ww in that book yet? Yummy. I'm going to try the one you suggested. Your girls and your adorable husband are so lucky to have you!

Jill Abetti said...

No, I will try that recipe. Is it a sweet bread? Thank you for your uplifting comments!

Bekah said...

Woops--it's called Vermont Oatmeal Maple-Honey WW bread! pg 207! It's a little sweet. I have to admit I only eat it toasted, so I don't know how it is just plain. It's not so sweet that you can't use it for sandwiches.