Thursday, July 3, 2008

We bought Elizah a little kitchen table so she could eat at and do art or paint or whatever. Little did I know that she would want to eat all her meals at the little table and not care to eat with us any longer. Hmmm....I'll have to think of something. I made these place mats so she could set her place herself and at the same time learn where the various items are placed on the table. This has been a huge help. She now has a bottom shelf of the pantry where all of "her" dishes are kept so she can get them and just set it herself. I got the idea after reading an article about Montessori (my sister-in-law is really into it). The idea that kids can do a lot more than we give them credit for and thus should be taught to be independent in what they can do. It's way more complex than that but I guess that's the idea behind the place mat creation. She also has a little pitcher filled with water so she no longer has to ask me twenty times a day for water. She can just get herself a cup from her shelf and open the fridge and pour herself a cup of water. She loves the independence and thrill of doing it herself. The fabric I used is from Moda Fabrics.
I love most of their prints.

What a crafty day! I also made this new cover for my KitchenAid mixer because of the continual dust that makes it's home in my bowl. I like the way it came out and it fits my kitchen well. This fabric is from Maywood Studio. We are off to go camping this weekend and it should be a wonderful adventure. Hiking, bathing in the creek, campfires, dirty babies and instant cook oatmeal. When we come back we will probably need a vacation. That's usually how camping is with children right? Have a great independence day celebration!

2 comments:

Kristin Sellars said...

Great idea! I love it!

Jill Abetti said...

Thanks! Elizah loves it too. She thinks it's something special for her to use.