Thursday, July 10, 2008


This is Elizah roasting her first marshmallow for her first smore. Camping always causes us to have many firsts. Like the first time Hazel has slept on my chest for two nights in a row or the first time my husband and I have bathed in the creek while our girls sat on the bank wondering why we were trembling as we splashed freezing snow water on ourselves. Trying to get clean while camping is absolutely in vein. Dirt is everywhere so we might as well embrace it and have fun in it. Also, the first time I woke up and couldn't walk because I was so sore from hiking almost ten miles throughout the weekend with Hazel on my back.

Before we had children, Josh and I were backpackers and now that aspect of our lives seems to be on hold until our kids get a little older. So we have replaced it with car camping. It's not what we prefer, but sometimes we just need to get away from society and out where we can see 1,000 stars and hear the babbling brook all night and be awakened by the singing birds and the sunshine. We felt like the girls were just happier too. It was so nice and my brother, sister-in-law and their son joined us for a night which was a joy to see our kids running around filthy and having the time of their lives!

No comments: