Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Golden Egg

Whenever I make dough or pie crust or anything I have to roll out Elizah has to make her own creation with what's left over. This is her contribution to the kitchen most times. Sometimes I sprinkle it with cinnamon and sugar or drop some blueberries on it and bake it. So, I have made her an official dough squeezing apron. Her creativity inspires me and helps me to let go in the kitchen and be okay with flour being everywhere and dough globs on the floor. She is exploring and creating and that is far valuable than a clean kitchen. Just one of the few lessons she has taught me.
The apron isn't our only creation lately though. Yes, we have had our first egg! It is so tiny and cute and we are so proud of it. I was so thankful for that egg that I almost didn't care of the chickens pooped all over my patio. (By the way if anyone knows how to keep them off without putting a fence around it let me know. It's driving us crazy!!) At last I don't have to buy eggs anymore. In fact yesterday I wanted to make a pound cake but didn't have enough eggs. I waited and kept checking and waited and waited and finally there was one so into the kitchen I went and out of the oven came blueberry pound cake.

3 comments:

Nancy Winningham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Nancy Winningham said...

Wow! How exciting to just be able to get an egg from your chicken. I have no idea how to keep them off the porch - except maybe a dog or cat. :-) Here is the link to that skirt tutorial I was telling you about.
Ok, I tried to post the link, but the whole link doesn't show. so.... here it is in parts:
http://angrychicken.typepad.com/
angry_chicken/
2008/07/5-minute-skirt.html

Kristin Sellars said...

How exciting! We saw chickens at the OC fair yesterday and I thought of you guys. Miss you!