Tuesday, June 24, 2008

This year for my garden my sister-in-law convinced me to make a square foot garden. I have been able to plant so much in such a small area. I love it! Thank you Bekah. It looks beautiful and delicious! We have tons of lettuce, cherry tomatoes, large tomatoes, okra, cucumber, yellow squash, pole beans, bush beans, beets, carrots, scallions, basil, coriander, marigolds, nasturtiums, bell pepper and so on...can you believe that all fits in two 4x4 square blocks? I don't even have to take a trip to the farmers market anymore.
It is so hot here that none of us feel like eating much. There's something about the heat that does that to you. It zaps your appetite. It's a good thing for me though because I can just pick what is ripe in the garden and eat that with homemade bread. Voila', a delicious garden meal! It's so cute to watch Elizah to go pick tomatoes for dinner too. I am thankful though that the climate does allow pretty much anything to grow almost year round here. I really can't complain.

2 comments:

Bekah said...

Jill,

Your garden looks beautiful! I'm so glad you took my advice even though Toby says I have a black thumb. Our squares are just starting to show the beginnings of things here in VT. Your dinner looks yummy too. What a great idea!

Kristin Sellars said...

Wow! I am impressed! Everything looks so yummy!! You inspire me to be a better mom and wife :) We miss you guys!