Friday, April 11, 2008


Parenting can be so difficult, but how can I be down when this face greets me in the morning? Really! Don't children bring such great joy to our lives? I try to remember that when I am in the middle of disciplining. Just because Elizah is telling me NO or being defiant I still need to act in love towards her. This becomes a very difficult task for me. "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger." Proverbs 15:1. The relevancy of God's word for all situations is undeniable. I know that when I get angry, she gets angry and no training is accomplished. Just a momentary modification to her behavior. The truth of this verse allows me to be able to learn to control myself in the midst of teaching Elizah to control herself. Now I just need to recall this verse the next time I have to correct her behavior (which will probably be in about 10 minutes). I love what author Ginger Plowman says on this issue. "The simple truth is that all kids are sinners and will manifest sinful behavior. The question is not: Will they sin? The question is: When they sin, what will you do about it? Will you ignore them, scream at them, make excuses for them, or will you train them up in the way they would go?". What a great reminder.

No comments: